Monday, September 24, 2007

Organizing for the busy season.

I've been feeling the pressure of the upcoming holiday season. I have several shows scheduled throughout the fall and have been taking notes and making new items as I can. I had to stop and organize a bit to see what projects I have set aside and which I should finish first. Keeping up inventory in my Etsy shop could be difficult, especially with a two-weekend show where I have to leave all of my items. Sometimes I have so many things that I want to make that I move on and neglect an unfinished project.
Excluding a few crochet designs that need the ends worked in and a knitting project on the needles somewhere...here is what I have started and set aside.

This large sweater purse has been hand-sewn and I am working a blanket stitch around and attaching long bamboo handles. I am not sure how to line this one, but I think it would make for a better carpet bag look. I also have many ideas for the remainder of the sweater...headbands, cuffs, and maybe a doggy sweater?

The crochet-topped towels are a crafter's tradition at local fairs. No one can resist hanging one on their oven or refrigerator door....especially if they are cute and well-made. I have more scarecrows, grapes, and leaves to finish, but I hope to embellish the dark orange ones with jack-o-lantern faces of some sort. I'm thinking primitive, but it will all have to be done by hand.

I purchased this gorgeous fabric from GoneToPieces. I have always wanted to combine fabric and crochet, other than purse linings : P
I've seen some great fabric scarves in fashion magazines and thought that this gold yarn would make a great crocheted edge. Now to find that awl..... I can't crochet until I have a proper tool.
I'll have to finish up some pumpkins, bats, and spiders. I have sewn bats with felt wings that are waiting for me to fill them with homegrown catnip!
My favorite items of all are shawls. I have hoards of yarn, enough of which to make approximately 15 or more shrugs, shawls, jackets, vests, etc. At this point it's just a matter of what I'll have time for.
My first actual holiday show starts November 1st!! Yikes! I need to finish scarves, hats, and mittens, decide what, if any, baby items I'll be making, and start thinking Christmas crochet.
I'm glad I don't work with thread or I'd be stuck making snowflakes!

3 comments:

Bonny said...

Good luck with your shows - I know the feeling! I've been trying to figure out how to maintain my shop and have enough for the shows also. But they are so much fun!

marsha said...

Good luck and I love those bamboo handles! I've got this thing for wood, can you tell? ;)

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Oh, I hear you on the pressure thing--I can feel Christmas breathing down my neck! LOL

The purse looks fabulous! Love the colors and the style. Of course, who doesn't love the hanging towels with the crocheted tops--I have a drawer full of them that my Mom made--and I love them!

Good luck with the shows
Smiles, Karen

AddThis