Saturday, February 2, 2008

You say tomato. I say....felted?

I never did understand the difference between "felted" and "fulled." A lot of fiber artists, myself included, refer to items as being felted - meaning they've knit or crocheted something then worked it with hot water, soap, and lots of agitation until it forms a tighter fabric of sorts. Technically, this process is called "fulling." The felting process generally uses the fibers themselves to make felt, not a spun, knitted, or crocheted piece.
The terms have become synonymous it seems. If I named a particular purse "Wool Fulled Handbag," most people would not know what I was talking about. But, call it a "Felted Wool Handbag" and your average customer would understand.
Here are some examples of some fabulously fulled items from petitelibellule.








Needle-felting is a technique in which the fibers are worked dry, with barbed needles. The fibers stick together to create a fabric, without the use of soap or water. Click on the photos for more information and to visit the shop of petitelibellule!


7 comments:

la petite libellule said...

thanks for the love!

zJayne said...

The hat is just beautiful. I've always thought the purse design was unique and a visual treat to the eye...but that hat... something about that hat is just stunning I think!

Bravo! Great blog by the way!

smashing.etsy.com said...

man, whever i read your blog i realize that i really really don't know much about the fiber world. but i do know it's purrrrrddeeee!!

lovely article and dress and lovely hat petite!

smashing.etsy.com said...

dress? i meant scarf. that was close right? ;)

Bonny said...

I love felted hats - great for winter and they don't get all wet and soggy. Beautiful!

marsha said...

Hi there! I'm back! :) It's great to be back in the blogosphere once again! i've missed you too ... thanks so much for your convos and thoughtfulness during my absence! that hat is stunning btw, love the contrast in colour ... it just spells WOW!

Emma said...

Awesome! Thank you for understanding and sharing the whole Felting, Fulling, Needle Felting fiasco. I try to explain that there is a difference and people look at me like I'm crazy! :-) The examples are gorgeous!

AddThis