Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Project Frustration


Have you ever had an idea and started a project only to have to walk away from it to make dinner or get to a Girl Scout meeting on time? With knitting, or crochet, it's fairly easy to set a project aside and come back to it whenever you want to. When I'm sewing, on the other hand, I would much rather finish the item in one sitting, or at least on consecutive days, if possible. I started a tote bag design on Friday and had to put it away for the long weekend. Now I'm wishing I had taken notes on what exactly I was planning. I have some measurements jotted down, but I'm still not exactly sure what I had in mind for it. Most of my designs end up being one-of-a-kind....because I don't write things down! I do, however, take better notes when designing with fiber.
I managed to finish the tote ...only to find a slightly crooked handle and a stain on the lining material. I'm not very happy with the way the fabric wrinkled to the fusible interfacing. So, maybe I have a new tote? Ah well - I like the colors.

I'm posting my first poll! Please take a moment to vote.
Thanks!

7 comments:

Fog and Thistle said...

I really need option E which for me is tear at my hair and growl at the world all day. With two kids, I'm constantly interrupted, and it's one of the reasons I don't paint anymore! I get very grumpy when I can't sit down and work for more than 5 minutes.

High Desert Diva said...

I kind of like the wrinkly look and I love the colors and the handles.

I'm really bad about taking notes. My husband, on the other hand, takes precise notes and then actually FILES them. Whatever.

La Alicia said...

maybe a sketch would be helpful, as you have ideas, write them down...then you have them to refer to?

I love the bag - nice colors. It looks fun and summery. If you think it isn't PERFECT by your standards, maybe sell it on etsy as an oopsie? I came across several oopsies the other day strictly by accident. They are non-perfect items at a slight discount. Just an option...

Sew Bettie said...

I definitely know what you mean - I usually end up sewing very small projects for just that reason.

Anitra Cameron said...

Oh. Yeah. I crochet things I can never duplicate. Ever. And I almost always end up wishing I'd taken notes, which beg the question: Why don't I take notes?!

PS Love your blog. Adding to Google Reader now....

Angie said...

This looks like it turned out really cute!

Gretchen said...

Oh, come on - the bag is adorable! I'm with the "sell it as an oopsie" contingent ... unless, of course, you need a new bag yourself :)

As far as project interruptus, I've got you beat. I made seven tote bags for my sister-in-law's wedding attendants, which I finished before Easter. Then she asked for two more in a smaller size for the flower girls ... so I had to go back and read through the junky sketches I made on the back of the brown paper template I made back in March, and pray for divine guidance at some points. You'd think that making the thing seven times would have burned it into my brain, but apparently not. The second wave turned out cute, though, so I must have gotten them mostly right :)

AddThis