Friday, May 9, 2008

Spring Blossoms


Would you believe that when we were looking at houses 11 years ago, we picked this one because it had gorgeous lilac bushes? (Well, that's part of the reason anyway LOL.)
There are actually four different colors of lilacs here and it seems to be a great year for them. There are some that are very light, a slightly darker version, a white, and a gorgeous dark one. I was going to look up the names and see which varieties we have, but there are so many that it's impossible for me to tell. I have this pitcher of lilacs in my dining room now and I love how they smell! The close-up shot of the darker variety is now my screen saver.

On Sunday, May 11th, the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University is celebrating the 100th anniversary of Lilac Sunday, an annual event in celebration of lilacs for garden enthusiasts. Visit their website for more information and a gallery of beautiful lilac photographs.

I also have beautiful creeping phlox in various colors along the bank in front of the house. There's also an unknown pretty blue flower that grows among the grass in the Spring. They only last until my husband mows them over, but the flowers bloom every year nonetheless. If you have a clue as to what it is, please let me know!


When I saw this beautiful yarn, it reminded me of fresh lilacs! It's not quite cold enough here to wear this set now, but I just thought I'd share with lilac lovers everywhere!

13 comments:

Gazed- Upon Glass said...

LOVE lilacs! Mine are just starting to bloom.
I have the same phlox!
Pretty pictures. :)

High Desert Diva said...

Lilacs are my absolute favorite. Evidently there is some version of a lilac that will grow in the desert...it's on my must have list for the big dirt pile that is soon to be our front yard.

Cozy said...

Your lilacs look wonderful! I love them and have had them when I lived in Utah.The other real showy ones I remember was peonies. A vase full of those can make a house smell pretty too.

I like your hat and wrist warmers too. You choose beautiful colors for your work.

Jacqueline Carly said...

soooo perrrty! love love the hat & wrist warmer!

fluffnflowers said...

Lovely! I moved some south with me and they still have a few years until they bloom. I'm getting them vicariously through your blog. :)

SpottedCow said...

Can't wait for my Lilacs to bloom.

Stormy Designs said...

I love lilacs. Yours are gorgeous & so is your ensemble. Thanks for participating.

Colorfuldayz said...

Your lilacs are sooooo beautiful. And your hat/gloves are that perfect matching shade ... a great way to round out the photos!

FaerieRebecca said...

We bought our last house because of the lavender that was growing in the front yard, and the blooming rose bush. Sigh, lovely flowers!

Alpaca Granny said...

I ♥ lilacs.

storybeader said...

great colors!! WOW

Doodlesprouts said...

Beautiful!!! I love all of the wonderful colors. Very cute set, love the wrist warmers :D Thanks so much for sharing!

TheresaJ said...

I LOVE lilacs. That would have been a deal clincher for me too -- and what lovely shades all mixted together!

AddThis