Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Notes from the trail... Polaroid Cliff??


"I can't imagine living and not running." - Paula Radcliffe

I went to the trail without my running mate yesterday. Coco gave me the sad eyes when I left without her, but it was hot and the flies were bothering her the last time. I promise to pick up some fly stuff and to leave earlier so that I don't have to leave her behind next time.

I was curious to see what it would be like to run without the dog. She loves to run, but her pace is more like a canter. When I get warmed-up and settle into a pace, it almost looks like she's just trotting along, walking quickly, but not really running. When she gets tired and hot she slows down some and I end up kicking her heels by the time we reach the end of the trail.

It was odd at first, without her. I am so used to having the leash to hold on to that I had to figure out what to do with my hands. I remember my husband telling me to keep them low and relaxed so I don't stress my shoulders and back, and to look straight down the trail, not down at my feet.

I'm finally figuring out how to use the Nike + with my iPod. I discovered that I could hit the center button and it would give me the time, distance, and current pace. It was able to get to a comfortable, faster pace. It was the first time my pace had been at 15-something. It had almost always been at 16+ minutes per mile.

It was a bit disconcerting to almost step on not one, but TWO SNAKES!! One was tiny and bright - possibly a milk snake. The other one was a huge garter snake - I think. But still, yikes! I don't like snakes. And after that, I was scared when a squirrel popped out onto the trail in front of me. Coco would have pulled my shoulder out of socket if she had been with me!

So, I made it back to the end of the trail. I have good days and bad days, but this was a great day on the trail. Remember my earlier post when I said that Lance Armstrong congratulated me on the iPod? Well, this time it was a woman with a British accent and she said that I had logged my longest workout so far. I thought she said "This is Polaroid Cliff."

I came home and asked my husband. Who is Polaroid Cliff? He laughed when I described her voice and said....that's Paula Radcliffe! While I'm not planning on running a marathon anytime soon, thanks for the inspiration Paula! I'll be rooting for you in Beijing! (I'm off to watch Paula's Motivation training videos here!)

(Since getting my new cyber shoes I've logged 6 runs for a total of 19.5 miles, the average pace of which I'm still working on.)

6 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

You sound so motivated!

I've never found the running love.

Rosebud Collection said...

Wow, you are doing great..I am impressed..That sneaker gadget is really something. Would not enjoyed seeing the snakes either..I might have run a lot faster after, as a matter of fact, much faster.

LazyTcrochet said...

Haha perhaps that accounts for the slight increase in speed? LOL

storybeader said...

wow - I've never heard of "cybershoes", but I don't run. What will they think of next.

Dayna said...

I miss running legs will barely keep me walking these days but I guess I can be thankful I can still do that. Keep up the good work. Find a pace and just relax. Don't try to concentrate too much on what you are doing.

LazyTcrochet said...

Thanks everyone. Thanks for the advice Dayna! I'm still new at this.

AddThis