Thursday, June 5, 2008

Recycling with Mom


My parents just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on May 16th! We're planning a huge celebration for the end of June. Mom and I have been buying decorations and making plans. When she asked me to bake a cake, I said I would, of course. I'm not very good at cake decorating, but somehow have become the cake baker for all the family birthdays and get-togethers. I can bake a good cake, but writing 'Happy Birthday Mom' with a few sprinkles is a far cry from recreating their wedding cake!! She has agreed to help me with the flowers and the final decorating, so I'm sure we'll be able to pull it off.

We couldn't find a picture of their cake, but she did bring over the original cake top that they used. She had fixed it up and added some fabric to the dress and it was used for her sister's wedding cake in 1971. We found a gold "50" and some new flowers. The base was pretty delicate and part of the back came off when we took the old veil off, but she covered it up with new tulle. Mom was thrilled with the way it turned out. It is beautiful. She is so excited now, too! I just hope I can get the cake to look as nice as the top. It's a great feeling to reuse something that has so much meaning. (And thanks Mom, for modeling for me. Sorry I cut off your head! This new shawl is the perfect color for her too.)

6 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you :)

SToNZ said...

Aww... 50 years is a real
accomplishment! Congrats to Mom & Dad!!
What a cool thing to reuse that special cake topper! Please post a photo of the cake when you have it done!

Anonymous said...

Wow, 50 years? That's something we should all be so lucky to achieve.

Hey, you won my giveaway!

LazyTcrochet said...

I just saw that...thanks so much fogandthistle!

High Desert Diva said...

The cake topper looks great!

Your parents are darling...congrats to 50 years!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

How wonderful--50 years! They look like a happy couple too. Congratulations--and have fun with the party!
Smiles, Karen

AddThis