Sunday, July 20, 2008

I'll be taking a break from the blog for awhile. Since today is a "wait and see" day, I thought I'd tell a bit of the tale. I blogged recently about my husband's bike trip here.

My husband, Bruce, had been planning a camping/mountain biking trip, only to have a horrific accident on the first day. His ordeal began Friday when he went over the handle bars on his bike, landing on a downed tree that put a 1/2 to 3/4" stick through his eye. Without getting gruesome, I'll explain that I think it went down from the top and into the sinus, breaking the plate bone behind the cheekbone.

Being far from an accessible road, he then had to climb down the mountain, sliding on his rear end for quickness, all the while bleeding a lot. It took him two hours to get down. He was picked up by a life flight helicopter and taken to a hospital. It wasn't the closest hospital either. I suppose they took him somewhere specific because of the head injury.

He sat in their ER for hours before he was able to call me. Here I am, over a 4 hour drive away, with no car. (Well, I have a junker I only take to town is all.) I hear Life Flight, stick in my eye, get here, they're going to do surgery to remove it. I don't know how to describe that really. I've had major surgery myself, one sudden and unexpected. But this, this was unbelievable.

I'm so grateful for my Mom. She started around 6:30 or 7:00 and drove to my house which is 1 1/2 hours. Then we took the kids and dog to her house and we eventually arrived at the hospital about 3:30 am. I was driving almost 75 mph which is so not me LOL. He had just come out of surgery and was talking to me, but exhausted. I didn't get to talk to a doctor, but they thought the eye was ok and he'd have to wait and see.

Mom and I slept about 2 1/2 hours the next morning before we headed out with our map to try to find the campsite and my car. Thanks to Google for making this trip a lot easier (everything from maps to phone numbers, hotel, pharmacies and more). It took us about an hour and 45 minutes, but we found the campsite. The other guys on the trip were all there. Apparently they didn't know where they had taken him or anything. They helped pack up his stuff between my car and Mom's truck. I was thanking them profusely for getting him help...and for getting his bike back to camp and all that, but I'm fighting back the urge to say "WHY DIDN'T ANYONE CALL ME?" They had an emergency contact paper, but apparently that system doesn't work guys.

I found my way back to the hospital finally. It is a huge hospital...Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, PA. This is all near State College, Penn State, Bloomsburg area. Lots of walking since the parking is very far away and there are many connected buildings to find your way around. I must have walked miles.
I no sooner walked into the room and he said that the doctors had just been in. He has a broken bone behind his cheekbone (I forget what the plate is called) and that he has to have surgery to have that repaired and to have the lower lid stitched, after the swelling comes down. His options were to wait until Tuesday and have it done there, or head home and contact someone at the Cleveland Clinic.

He opted for going home. We picked up his prescriptions there and I got him a peach gelato with vanilla custard (and one for me too, of course). I was a bit concerned about how tired I was. All that driving and little sleep. Normally, I don't think I could have done it. But he needed me to do this and, other than shooting pains in my hip and the cruise not working, I muddled through. It was bad timing that his pain meds wore off just as we hit the bumpy roads here in Ohio. He was pretty miserable, but we made it.

He is resting, uncomfortably, until we can get a referral. Then we'll see what tomorrow brings. I left on this long trip, not knowing what to expect, but hoping for the best. I am surprised to be back home with him the next day. I'm trying to stay calm and still hope for the best, but it's difficult not to worry about whether his vision will come back or not, which determines whether he can keep his job or not. We weren't prepared for this. I've been lucky to be able to stay home with the kids, and now to have my Etsy shop, but this isn't going to be easy. We had just received papers from AFLAC in the mail and giggling that it pays $35 for a dislocated finger and now he's trying to joke about "anything's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"

I'll be back when things get back to normal around here. Thanks for stopping by. See you soon I hope.

24 comments:

Merily said...

Oh my gosh, what horrible luck! *sends good thoughts your way* I hope your husband recovers quickly and his vision comes back!

Ladypippie said...

You have been through so much in such a short time. I can not imagine what you and your husband are going through. I am praying for you both through this difficult time.

Please take care of yourself during this time.

Shannon said...

Wow! Things can change in an instance. You and your family will definately be in my prayers.

Hang in there!

M. K. Lawrie said...

You'll definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.

ARTISANNE said...

Big Scottish hug to you, you're coping admirably, will pray for a speedy recovery and, as ladypippie says, don't forget to look after yourself too!

April Horsman said...

Oh my soul. Sending you all kinds of love and well wishes.

Everything will work out for you I'm sure. I'm hoping.

Hang in there. Keep in touch ok! I want to know things are ok!

High Desert Diva said...

Oh Tricia...this is just tragic. I'm so sorry his biking adventure turned into this horrific story.

Sending hugs and best wishes for your entire family.

LazyTcrochet said...

Thanks everyone. It means a lot to me to know you're all thinking good thoughts for him.

Rosebud Collection said...

What a nightmare..Will keep you all in my prayers..keep us updated when you can..

Kelly said...

Ohmigosh, that's awful. Hang in there - you sound amazingly strong through everything.

Lynn said...

I hope things get better soon.

Marie said...

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your husband. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

sending good vibes, girlfriend

petite

Lily - Tulip's Talking from the said...

Tricia...Your are anything but "Lazy" *smile*! I am deeply touched by your stories, and though we do not know one another well...except through being teammate on the etsyBloggers Team, I hope you can feel that I held your hand a moment ago.

I have asked my angels to go to your angels, sending my prayers and warm healing thought with them.

God and Love will see you through.

Blessings,
~Lily

ThePaintedTiger said...

Oh my! Get some rest, and more gelato. We will pray that everything turns out for the best, whatever that turns out to be.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

O M Goodness...that is totally enough to scare the crap out of you huh? You poor dear. I will keep you and your hubby both in my prayers--that his vision will be just fine and that you can sleep peacefully and deeply.
Hugs--Karen

promotional card printing said...

I wish that things got better quickly and appreciate your for your courage.

SToNZ said...

Hang in there, both of you-and know that the cleveland team gang is sending prayers and good thoughts your way-
xxx
susan

Hey Harriet said...

OMG! What a horrible thing to have happened! Sending positive vibes your way. Hope your hubby recovers quickly. At least he's able to joke about the situation & keep positive. You both take care!

Valerie said...

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way still.

lovemaryxoxo said...

Sorry to hear. I hope she is better soon!

Waterrose said...

OH, I'm so sorry that this happened to your family. I haven't read the more recent entry, but I'm hoping that all is better. Hugs to you.

roseworksjewelry said...

Wow - that's so rough! Still praying...

Splendid Little Stars said...

very horrible.

AddThis