Saturday, July 26, 2008

Notes From The Trail


After several weeks of drama/trauma, I was finally able to take Coco to the trail for our first run in 24 days. She got the staples removed over a week ago and is fully healed from her surgery. My husband isn't completely healed, but I was glad to be able to take a break and head to the trail.

When I pulled into the parking lot behind the library, I saw a deer on the side of the trail, about 50 yards away. She watched us and moved off, just into the wood line. I put on my headphones and started my Nike+ iPod workout. I have heard a buck snort in the woods before, but this doe snorted so loud, it scared me even with music playing. I had almost forgotten she was there until I heard it and realized we had walked up to within 15 yards and my dog didn't see her.

I knew I would have to walk, stretch, and warm-up properly, but got set-upon by flies immediately. It is supposed to rain later and the deer flies were swarming us. Most of them were on Coco, not penetrating her fur, but irritating nonetheless. I ran a good bit of my normal routine, but decided to turn around since they just wouldn't leave her alone.

We had a run-in with a shepherd that wasn't leashed. The lady kept calling it, but almost at a whisper like she didn't even expect the dog to obey her. We got away from it, but not soon enough. I smashed a fly on my ring finger and there was a lot of blood. The darn thing had been feasting on my hand and three fingers were swelling up. I stepped it up a notch as best I could, and got us back to the car. I kept kicking Coco's butt a few times just to keep up the pace and had to brush the flies off of her before she got in the car.

An ice cube, some Benedryl and hydrocortisone cream later and my hand finally feels better. I'm painting my kitchen and hope to finish it up this weekend. I started on the cabinets and got most of them done...about two years ago. I thought this would be a good weekend to paint and get as much done on it as I can. I still have part of the cabinets to do, but at least the rest of it will be done. Interior design is not my strong point, especially on my budget, but I'll post pictures when it's done.



So, I have lots to keep me busy. I have a lot more beans to pick. I'd much rather eat them fresh, but I will be canning this weekend also. Have a great weekend. I'll update more details regarding Bruce's eye injury when I know something. Apparently these sorts of things take a long time to heal and his doctor said it was the worst trauma to the eye he had ever seen. I'm so lucky to have him sleeping peacefully on the sofa. Thanks everyone for your continued support and prayers! It helps more than you know.

7 comments:

pcsolotto said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
High Desert Diva said...

You're being spammed by the lotto guy, I see.





I would never have lasted as long as you did on your run had I been swarmed by flies.....ick!

Glad Bruce is home, and healing. Such a traumatic thing to go through (for everyone).

Good luck with your kitchen!

Hey Harriet said...

Flies feasting on your hand? Yikes! You must have aggressive breeds of flies over there. We don't have flies like that where I am. Thankfully! Ours just buzz around annoyingly, but don't eat people!

GrayEyedScorpio said...

I'm here on the computer instead of running due to bugs. I adore a good trail run, but this time of year I'm driven to pavement.

Your husband's experience sounds grueling and frightening. I'm glad he's recovering. We used to MTB, but became chickens after a couple of accidents. I miss it, though.

Stacey said...

Wow, what an ordeal!
I hope things improve for you and your husband very soon.

Waterrose said...

OH, you have been through a lot in a short amount of time. Keep your spirit up. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Marie said...

I'm so glad to hear that your family is doing better.

I can't tell you how many times I've been rushed by an unleashed dog on my daily walk with Jake. In about half of the incidents, the owner did nothing. I consider calling in a sweet voice 'nothing'.

AddThis