Monday, July 28, 2008

Summer Bounty

I didn't plant any zucchini or squash this year. It takes up so much room and we don't eat very much of it any way. I have my hands full with beans, with a bucketful ready to can this morning. I did pick up some local sweet corn and a squash for dinner last night.


I love to slice the zucchini (or other squash) thinly, dredge it in flour, then egg and milk, and then in seasoned breadcrumbs. Let them sit in the refrigerator at least an hour before you fry them up crisp. Sprinkle with salt or grated parmesan cheese. I served it with the first-of-the-season sweet corn and some grilled bratwursts.

I'm still waiting for the first ripe tomato.

I got a run in this morning. I decided to go down the road since the flies were so bad on the trail. It was ok until I got to the pit bull at the corner house. I started to turn around, but yelled at it when it was following me. The lady heard me yell and called him, so I kept going. Apart from the dog and the scent of roadkill, it wasn't too bad. I just had to keep my ankles loose. I was glad I had my pepper spray on me at least. Coming back, I kept watching for the dog and a bull frog scared me half to death LOL. Ah well, it's better than shaking the whole house to a workout dvd when the whole family is home!

11 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Looks tasty!

GrayEyedScorpio said...

I'll have to try refrigerating mine before frying. Thanks for the tip!

Living in a rural area is perilous for running. I have to stick to routes I know well, for well-founded fear of dogs like you encountered. I've nearly been knocked off my bike by dogs chasing me. Scary moments.

kim* said...

mmm- sounds delicious

Jenny said...

I just drooled on myself...

I am not a huge fan of squash, but I bet it's great fried.... Thanks for the great idea!

Mixed Species said...

OK - this recipe looks amazing AND we could eat it while wearing Speedos!

Paper Girl Productions said...

looks good!!

Helen said...

Looks so good and I am so hungry right at this moment!

A pit bull and a bull frog... sounds like it was a day of bull's for you!!

Lily - Tulip's Talking from the said...

OMG...YUMMY, YUMMY, for my TUMMY!

and,

LOL about the dog, and notshaking up the house!

~Lily

HINT Jewelry Design said...

Oh so delicioso! I forget about using squash in this way. So thanks for the tip. My favorite is dregging tomato slices in cornmeal mixed with some cajun spice and frying them up brown. I even prefer red over green tomatoes :)

Jackie said...

I tend to use zucchini either roasted with other veggies or in stir frys. Not fond of squash. Nothing nicer than fresh corn that the sugars have not yet turned to starch.

I love frogs but although I love dogs I am always wary these days as so many people train them as as attack dogs rather than friendly pets.

LaMia Designs said...

Yum....I make these too.....
Great blog, good luck to you!

AddThis