Friday, December 5, 2008

Giada, Giada, Giada!!


(photo from Food Network)

Anyone who signed up for Food Network's 12 Days of Cookies Newsletter must be pretty disappointed in today's recipe. I know I am. Giada De Laurentiis provided a recipe for Peppermint-Chocolate Sandwich Cookies that actually calls for a tube of refrigerated sugar cookie dough. Blech! Pillsbury must be a sponsor because a coupon pops up when you put your mouse over it. I'm sorry, but I expect more of such a "foodie" site. I know how to boil water too.

The EtsyBloggers Team Blog Carnival topic is Brownies! Now that I can do. December 8th is National Brownie Day. I've been making my Grandmother's recipe for years. I allowed my daughter to tweak it a little this last time by substituting some peanut butter for some of the shortening. It worked and they liked them, but I like the recipe as written.


Easy "Scratch" Brownies
Beat together 1/2 cup shortening and 1 cup of sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add 2 eggs and mix well. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix together these dry ingredients then add to the egg mixture... 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoons cocoa powder (more if you want them really chocolatey). Mix well, add a little milk if you've added extra cocoa, or if the batter is too stiff. Add chopped nuts if desired.
Bake in a greased 8" square pan at 350° for approximately 30 minutes (longer if not done in the middle). Test with a toothpick to see if they're done. Bake as for a cake, not the traditional gooey brownie mix type. When cool, dust with powdered sugar.

11 comments:

agoodwitchtoo said...

Perhaps Giada had me in mind? LOL! But yeah, I'd expect more from such a big network too :)

Linda said...

Now see! My sister "Martha" would so be appalled by refrigerater dough, me not so much.

Tulip's Talking said...

Recipies handed down through the generations are simply the mostest! Geez, I'm drooling again....

BeadedTail said...

Giada is a busy mom now so maybe she cut a few corners! Your grandmother's brownies sound yummy though!

glorybe1024 said...

Sounds more like Semi Homemade...love the recipes on the show...the host, not so much.

Brownies sound wonderful...I will have to give them a whirl!!

Rose Works Jewelry said...

I miss brownies...

I need to figure out a milkless brownie recipe...

TiLT said...

I've seen that with some of the pre-compiled recipes - haven't had much of that with Eating Well and Epicurious though.

Should we start keeping track of our weights with all these yummy brownie recipes running around? b/c now I need to try yours too :P

Myfanwy said...

Mmmm, this recipe sounds yummy, I think I'll give it a try.

Rosebud Collection said...

What wonderful recipes..they look so good..Those brownies look wonderful..

uniquecommodities said...

Uh I see the possibility for a 10 lb weight gain in this blog! LOL

High Desert Diva said...

Blech. Those tubes of cookie dough taste like shortening. Yuck.

The brownies, on the other hand.....yummy!

AddThis