Sunday, January 11, 2009

Caught in the Crossfire...CPSIA

It saddens me to see that so many shops selling handmade items for children are going out of business because of the new lead testing requirements set by the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. I have been keeping up with the articles as best I can, but keeping a back seat to it all because it didn't really pertain to me. I don't normally make baby items, but it was always an option...until now. I was trying to stay informed, yet wait for it all to be sorted out by the deadline of February 9, 2009. It can be very confusing and I am not at all qualified to explain it here, but there are many people getting fired up over this issue. Here are some links for more information...
Consumer Product Safety Commission Information Page - http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html
Etsy-related Storque articles - http://www.etsy.com/storque/search/title/cpsia/
This is a great blog article CPSIA - Confusion and Chaos - http://learningresourcesinc.blogspot.com/2009/01/cpsia-confusion-and-chaos.html

I came across this Etsy shop and all of this really hit home. YadaYadaYada has a big "Going Out of Business Sale" banner up in her shop. Here's what her shop announcement says....

"Due to the stricter CPSIA regulations requiring lead testing on all items for children under 12, I will not be able to afford to stay in business after Feb 10th. With sadness, I am retiring all my adorable characters and closing my children's line."

Yada Yada Yada is a husband and wife design team bringing embroidered childrens' clothing and accessories to you. Asher is primarily responsible for our adorable little animals with attitude. Hilary brings his drawings to life through digitizing and machine embroidering.

While YadaYadaYada is one of hundreds of Etsy shops affected by this law, just think of the thousands of small businesses that will be closing across the country. Part of the reason I chose to represent this seller is that they are a local seller near me in Ohio. My husband has been laid-off due to a bicycle accident that left him half blind. As difficult as it has been for him to find work in this economy, I can understand the frustration of small businesses being forced to give up shop.
What can you do? Support handmade in any way that you can! I encourage you to keep up with this legislation and contact the CPSC with your concerns here: http://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/newleg.aspx

8 comments:

MagdaleneJewels said...

Very good article on your blog - I think you captured what people need to know. Although the bill was signed yesterday 1/12, hopefully we can still do something to help our Etsy friends who will be effected by this.
Hopefully this link will help also inform more people
http://magdalenejewelsblogs.blogspot.com/2008/12/carnival-atrocities-of-cpsia.html

TNT2008 said...

Nicely said. One of the networks aired a piece on how the new law will effect resale shops like Goodwill. Women (interviewed) said that in the current economic crisis, not having the option to buy children's products at prices they can afford is unthinkable.

Tulip's Talking said...

This is one of the saddest topics of conversation saturating the internet by the handmade movement and so many others.

LazyT, you did a fine job. Took the feelings right out of my mouth.

x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0

Just be happy! said...

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us.
:o)

TiLT said...

Great write up...we could (unfortunately) fill up thousands of blog pages with stories similar to this one...hope the gov gets their act together in time.

Laura said...

Hi,

I've been a lurker on your blog for sometime (found your blog through Lazy Mama's), but wanted to comment. What a shame that so many small business owners will be put out of business inadvertently because of this law.

By the way, I am a Clevelander too. : ) I'm sorry to hear about your husband. My husband is also blind in one (his left) eye, from an accident when he was 3 years old. He works, but at time has had trouble finding a job, because of perceptions that employers have about him because of his partial blindness (he's visibly blind in the one eye). He doesn't talk about it much, but I know it hurts him.

You have some beautiful crocheted, items by the way - I really admire your work!

LazyTcrochet said...

Thanks everyone.

And thanks for sharing Laura!

Alpaca Granny said...

I'm pretty sick about this too. Lots of my alpaca goes to stores making handmade kid toys on Etsy. No lead in alpaca....

AddThis