Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Testing Unknown Fibers


I found this big cone of earthy tweed at a garage sale last summer. The only tag says "Charred Earth." As much as I was hoping it was wool, it has a scratchy acrylic feel to it. I tried the burn test on it today. It did smell like burning plastic vs. the burning hair smolder that it would have if it were wool. While there's no way to tell for sure, it may be a blend of acrylic, nylon, or polyester. Oh well. At least its nice and chunky. Perhaps I'll make a rug with it....or two.
Have an unknown fiber or fabric you'd like to identify? Check the chart HERE.

2 comments:

TiLT said...

wow - I was just trying to find my burn chart on my computer to check some fabric I hope to destash!...what timing :) you rock!

uniquecommodities said...

Thanks for sharing! I like the look of it though! Whatever you make with it...no doubt it will be pretty!

AddThis