Friday, January 9, 2009

What's for Lunch?


I wanted to show you one of my favorite pans. I bought it for my husband last year at Christmas and I use it quite often. This Panini pan is like a non-stick grill pan, with a "lid" that you use to press the sandwich. It makes for a tasty grilled cheese. My favorite is turkey, roasted red peppers and provolone. You put the lid on the pan while it heats up, place your sandwich and press down with the preheated lid. Cook until browned, flip and press again. The kids like theirs squished a lot. LOL
If you're concerned about the calorie count of butter on the outside of the bread, just go easy with it. A little goes a long way. Butter is much better than fake margarines, but you could also brush the bread with olive oil for a tasty treat.
There are a lot of expensive Panini presses and heavy cast-iron Panini pans available also. While they may be nice, I am quite happy with the one that I found. (And I think I found it at a discount store. I can't remember exactly.)
I see I'm not the first to blog about Paninis. Check out Panini Happy for great recipes and tips. My favorite tip from there is to bake your own bread. Good, thick, crusty bread is my favorite for Paninis!
Don't have a Panini pan or press? Don't fret, just make yourself a fancy grilled cheese and flatten with a spatula if desired.

11 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Looks like it works great.

I like your idea of red pepper...

Rose Works Jewelry said...

Your making me hungry!

TNT2008 said...

Yumm. Your sandwich is one that I would love to try. And with the butter:)

PaniniKathy said...

Thanks for the link love for Panini Happy! I've always wondered how those panini pans worked vs the grills - your sandwiches look great to me!

memoriesforlifescrapbooks said...

Yum! Now, I'm gettin' hungry :)
I LOVE paninis and this looks so easy!

maryeb said...

OOO, that looks so good. I don't have a panini press, but you're tempting me!

TiLT said...

Ok - now I am hungry!
Looks awesome! Thought about getting one here - thinking maybe it'd help the sandwich I eat nearly everyday not seem so blah.

uniquecommodities said...

OH that looks sooo YUMMY! Make me one please and ship it Priority Mail! LOL

Beth said...

Yum!

My husband talks about these. Right now he uses a cast iron pan and presses with another one. Sometimes his are a pretty squooshy.

BeadedTail said...

That looks so good! My hubby makes sandwiches with roasted red peppers too - so good!

knitting dragonfly said...

This makes me want to run out and buy one...Yummmy

AddThis