Friday, February 6, 2009

New Homespun


I received an email from Lion Brand Yarn, showing their new colors of Homespun. While there are some pretty new choices, unfortunately, they're all the "painterly" or striped colorways. Sometimes this works, but sometimes it doesn't. If you're trying to match up two sides of a sweater, for instance, the color differences can be a big distraction. They work well for shawls and blankets, especially the shawls that are worked out from the center like this one.

I found this homespun-style yarn at Hobby Lobby. It's called Epais and is described as "A Colorfusion Yarn" and is made in Turkey. It comes in one, big, gorgeous 14 ounce skein. I meant to take a "before" picture of the yarn, but I was so anxious to work with it that I forgot! This color is called "Fantasy" and is a beautiful blend of antique rose, mauve, gold and green. Here is the finished "Rose Garden" shawl that I made with it. There were some other beautiful color choices, some of which reminded me of feathers and ren-fairs. You can see what I mean about the big color changes and how that might not work for some projects. Maybe I'm just too particular, but for sweaters and such, I prefer solids and not the big obvious stripes.

19 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Too bad...the yarn color looks yummy in the skeins!

Rosebud Collection said...

How beautiful..your work is lovely.

MagdaleneJewels said...

Beautiful shawl! love the variation of colors as they progress down the shawl. I loved the mixed berries skein in the first group you showed.

implexus said...

I love the look of the homespun yarn, but found it such a pain to work with. Although that "pearls" color REALLY makes me want to get some more. Love it.

And the shawl is pretty :)

TiLT said...

Beautiful shawl!

glorybe1024 said...

That shawl is absolutely gorgeous!!

BeadedTail said...

Wow! That shawl is so beautiful!

Beth said...

I love how this turned out! I see what you mean about how lining them up would be tricky. But the shawl turned out perfect.

Just be happy! said...

gorgeous shawl!

memoriesforlifescrapbooks said...

Great colors! Too bad they wouldn't work for a sweater...but I see what you mean.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Oh yeah, your shawl is absolutely beautiful!! Love the color gradations and the softness!
smiles, Karen

Mommy Bee said...

those are so pretty! I've been knitting a little over a year, and I'm just learning about yarn lust, LOL!

Cheryl said...

Your shawl is just lovely. Beautiful!!!

How to Crochet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
thebeaddreamer said...

The yarns and shawl are just beautiful. It is so cold here today, it would be nice to wrap up in.

varun said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rosies_Mom said...

I don't have a picture yet, but I'm using this particular lot of Epais yarn for an afghan and it's fabulous to work with! the colors are so rich and the yarn feels luxurious. I can't wait to do another project with one of the other colors of Epais.

Rebeccaisanders said...

I just made a shrug out of this yarn, and the color change ruined it. One sleeve is a beautiful mix of pink and black, but the other is orange! UGH! So I wasted all that time... and now to unravel it!

LazyTcrochet said...

Sorry Rabecca. Yeah, you really have to pick your starting point carefully if you want the colors to work for certain projects. It is a lovely yarn, but I can see why Hobby Lobby has a lot of it in their clearance section now - the odd color combos, plus some definite flaws and knots.

AddThis