Monday, March 16, 2009

Tempting Traditions begin with St. Patrick's Day



I've been on a health kick lately, trying to destress and burn some calories at the same time. It's been a good month since the Valentine's candy, yet another cycle of traditional foods follows, starting with St. Patrick's Day. I did buy a corned beef and will have our traditional dinner, but I am not making the Irish Soda Bread to go with it. I blogged a delicious recipe last year HERE. It's an easy version, and, in moderation, it isn't bad for you. It's just that my husband and I would eat the whole thing...with butter.
The same goes for my Mom's Easter Bread. The recipe makes a LOT. I always say we'll freeze some, but it's so delicious plain or toasted....with butter of course. Here's the recipe that I blogged last year. I highly recommend trying it. I love anise and this has anise seed and flavoring. I used to pick out the raisins, but now they are just delectable. So, find the Easter Bread recipe HERE, if you dare.
I think I can handle foregoing the breads this year. It will be a tradition that I can put off until some other year. But the Easter cheesecake, which the family is counting on and it wouldn't be Easter without the regular, no low fat anything recipe....I'm not so sure. I can say no, if you want cheesecake, you'll have to make one. I don't know if I can, especially since my kids love it too. So, I may keep the cheesecake tradition, for now, and just have a sliver with lots of berries. For the classic recipe that we've made for years, visit my previous post HERE. (Yes, mine cracked that time...oh well.)
Happy St. Patty's Day and if you have any food traditions, I'd love to hear them!

10 comments:

memoriesforlifescrapbooks said...

Bread and sweets are my ultimate faves! These all sound SOOOO good!
Enjoy the cheesecake :)

agoodwitchtoo said...

Save yourself some calories... go ahead and make the cheesecake... just send it my way ;) LOL!

CK Crochic said...

The Cheesecake and bread look so good. I know what you mean about trying to burn calories. I am about to go on a diet with some girls i work with and even though I know I need to lose the weight, I am dreading it.

Splendid Little Stars said...

The bread and cheesecake look absolutely delicious. Family traditions, including those built around food, are a good thing. Do enjoy that cheesecake!

uniquecommodities said...

Yummy. I just gained 5 lbs LOOKING at that!

DJ said...

Oooh - both looks so tasty. So when's dinner? LOL

knitting dragonfly said...

Oh Dang....Yum...I love cheesecake!! Who can resist? Happy St. Pat's
Vicki

Tulip's Talking said...

LOL Witchy...leave it to you!

I bet it tastes just as yummlicious cracked!!!

Food traditions: See food, eat it.

~Lily

NICO Designs said...

I am a carb addict! Now matter how hard I am working out at boot camp I am sabotiging my efforts from desire to eat bread:(

The bread looks yummy by the way.

Sarah McBride said...

i LOVE bread. and i REALLY love cheesecake. Those look amazingly delicious.

AddThis