Friday, June 12, 2009

Fiber Friday - Crocheting with Unspun Fibers


It's been awhile since I've posted fun with fibers. I had these colorful batts from hobbledehoy.Etsy.com staring at me for months and I wasn't sure what to do with them. I am not a spinner and haven't even tried a drop spindle. I do want to do some more Nuno felting, but I got the urge to try to crochet with the unspun fibers. This may have been easier with roving or pencil roving. These colors were all mixed together in a gorgeous blend. I just started pulling apart bulky yarn-size pieces and put a crochet hook to it. It can be very delicate and it took me awhile to separate and choose colors. I wasn't even sure what I was making. Once the fibers had been woven or crocheted, it was dangerous to pull them apart. So, on I went until I had used every inch!
I lighted felted it with hot water and soap on a ridged boot mat, rinsed and rolled it in a towel. It's still a bit damp and is slow to dry because of our humid weather. I didn't want to shrink it too much, just tighten up the fibers a little bit. I'm sure it would have gotten a lot smaller and thicker if I had felted it normally, but I wanted it soft and loose.
Now that I've played with it a bit, I've decided it will be a purse. I thought about crocheting a strap for it, or using this fun frame that I have, but I think it looks best as a clutch. A sleek, but sturdy lining will finish up this fun with fibers design.
Read more Fiber Arts Friday posts at AlpacaFarmGirl.com!

And don't forget...Saturday is Worldwide Knit In Public Day!

19 comments:

Beth said...

Love your new creation! So bright and fun!

CT said...

it looks so cheerful!!!! it is great to do different things with fiber!!!

angella said...

it's lovely- i love unspun fibre, has a really unique look when all hooked up. and i think a cutch is about right :)

Ina said...

Your purse is gorgeous! What a great idea, and a great addition to Fiber Arts Friday! :)

TexasRed said...

This looks like a great project -- love the combination of the chunky crochet with the frame and lining idea!

storybeader said...

such vibrant colors!

Rose Works Jewelry said...

Those look like a ton of fun!

Splendid Little Stars said...

What a great project! It's quite lovely! be sure to show us your finished work.

Patti said...

What an inspiration this is...I've been wondering what to do with left over roving!

maya | springtree road said...

that is fabulous!!!! what a great idea.

memoriesforlifescrapbooks said...

That will make a great purse!

Dominant Hands said...

I love your vivacious colors!

fiberdance said...

what great colors! I've been wanting to try using unspun fibers-now I have the incentive to give it a go-thanks

TiLT said...

very cool! I love the way the colors are together...can't wait to see it all done :)

Becky said...

really pretty, I love fiber!
I'll make sure I have a knitting project with me tomorrow! :D

Summer Raven said...

A Rainbow of fun~you have a great knack for color combos!

LazyTcrochet said...

Thanks! These fibers were spun and dyed by hobbledehoy! Check out her Etsy shop for sure.... www.hobbledehoy.etsy.com

Alpaca Farmgirl said...

Love this! And I am addicted to Hobbledehoy myself and not a spinner. What a great idea!

Thanks for participating in Fiber Arts Friday!

tamdoll said...

Hey, that looks like fun. I've knit with unspun fibers, but haven't tried crochet yet. Must do! Your purse-to-be looks great.

AddThis