Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Beginning of the End

It's the first day of school here in Ohio....and it's a brisk 39° F out there! I'll have to head out to the garden to pick some more tomatoes (when it warms up some). As Summer comes to an end, now is the time to harvest and process the vegetable bounty. I'm still waiting for my peppers to ripen. The plants are full of huge, sweet bell peppers, but they're not golden yellow yet like they're supposed to be.


I made some pizza sauce and will be cooking down more tomatoes as they ripen as well. I used some fresh in a batch of chili last night, but I like to make spaghetti sauce to have throughout the winter. It's time to pick and dry some herbs, like basil and oregano, and harvest some catnip for kitty toys. This is also a great time to plant more lettuces and spinach since they grow best in the cooler temperatures, but before the freeze. So, take time to enjoy the bounty from your own garden or visit your local farmer's market. And, if you're so inclined, "put-up" some jars to enjoy throughout the year. You'll be glad you did.

5 comments:

demandablog said...

We just bought a house last summer and I didn't have time to establish a garden this year! I'm so jealous of all your juicy tomatoes!

Splendid Little Stars said...

Do you can or freeze your tomato sauce?
I keep lettuce planted from Spring on. I grow it in the shade, plants crowded together, and pick just the larger leaves. I don't wait to harvest a whole plant. That way there is always enough for a daily salad.

LazyTcrochet said...

I like to can mine. I don't have too much freezer space. It gets too hot here for lettuce and it bolts after awhile. I'll have to think of a shady spot to try next year.

SkribblyKids said...

looks messy.. and delicious!

BeadedTail said...

Mmmm, homemade pizza and spaghetti sauce!

AddThis