Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Greener than the Grass

I did a little felting experiment. I think it turned out okay. I wrote everything down so that I can make some changes to the design next time. The handle needs to be a little wider and maybe a little shorter. Going by the general rule of thumb that crochet felts more lengthwise than widthwise kind of screwed me up a little. I didn't get the 80% shrinkage lengthwise that I had written down from a previous swatch. I think that, when felting crochet, a lot depends on the stitch. Single crochet felts differently than half-double or double crochet would.

Here's the bag pre-felted.

And here it is drying on the line. I have it stuffed with a soccer ball and some plastic bags. Direct sun is probably not a good idea, but Hooray, the sun is shining!!
As long as no birds poo on it, I think the project can be considered a success! The color is "lemongrass" which is actually greener than the grass today. I hope this bag sells at a local show this weekend. If not, look for it in my Etsy shop next week, with more to follow.

5 comments:

SToNZ said...

I LOVE this new bag, T!!
(Hope no birds get it!)
Good luck with your show~

Kathy~Sweet Bird Designs said...

Pretty color:)

SimplyCrochet said...

I love it, it so brings Spring to mind. That would make a super cute Easter bag!!

Casa de Kitties said...

I love this bag - could you explain how you felted your bag? I have only seen instructions to felt knitted materials and I wasn't sure if it was the same process for crochet items

LazyTcrochet said...

It is pretty much the same felting process Casa de Kitties. Trial and error, and check it often!

AddThis