Tuesday, March 9, 2010

To Fringe, or Not to Fringe?


...that is the question. I never know whether people would prefer a shawl with or without fringe. It depends on a person's preference, as well as the type of yarn. If it's a type of yarn that will come apart then it usually doesn't make good fringe. You can knot it, or crochet the fringe, and there are even some knitting patterns that work the fringe as you go or have you unravel a few rows around the edge of a pattern to create fringe.
Some designs look better with a decorative edging, or even just a plain, simple edge, while mod or retro styles call for that shaggy, groovy fringe.
I'd love to know...what's your style? Fringe...or no fringe?
Let me know your comments AND take the poll on the top right of the blog? (It's my first blog poll!) Thanks

9 comments:

Amanda (and Kevin by association) said...

I'm a no fringe girl for a shawl, but for a scarf? Let those threads fly! :)

CT said...

It depends! I agree, some designs just beg for a fringe and others look so much better plain and simple! But those shawls are just gorgeous!

BeadedTail said...

I voted! I'm a no fringe gal!

Valerie said...

I thinkn no, but it all depends on the shawl/scarf/item....gee, I'm helpful right?

PeanutandTommy said...

It's difficult to vote in your survey because I like frings on some items, not on others!

All of your shawls are stunning!

jbcrochetdelights said...

I would prefer not to put fringe but I've asked my family and friends and most say the fringe just adds to the piece. Thanks for the poll.

steph said...

Hi Tricia!

Please check your yahoo email for one from me (heartsandlaserbeams@gmail.com) - I'm trackin you down because you won some Stitch Nation yarn in last week's OC Weekly giveaway!

Zu said...

Shawls remind me of old people in church. lol But if I was to eventually give in and own one, it would be without a fringe. Some shawls need a fringe, so I'd be sure to make sure the one I owned didn't need one. ;-)

LazyTcrochet said...

Thanks for the votes everyone!
Yes, Zu, a lot of people feel that way, I'm sure. I've always wanted a bumper sticker that says "Conserve engergy, wear a shawl!" I'd rather keep a cool house and wrap up in a shawl, than have a huge gas bill.

AddThis