Monday, April 19, 2010

Vintage Inspiration

I dug up some really fun things while sprucing up my craft room! I don't really like calling it a craft room, but it's not really a "studio" either. Truthfully, it's a room to hold the yarn. As much as I try, I can't help but have piles, bags, and bins of yarn everywhere. I was able to assemble the wools and added some cedar blocks to keep it clean. I'm glad I made room for this table. It will be nice to sew somewhere other than the dining room table.
As I've noted in previous posts, buttons are always inspiring. I've often designed things based on buttons. And some will wait for the perfect project. While most are in a shoebox, I laid out a few, just for inspiration. Sometimes when they get put away, I lose track of what I have and what I want to make with them.

My favorite re-find as I was organizing was a stash of vintage books and magazines. "Make It With Mademoiselle" was published in 1971 and has some really cool chunky knit and crochet designs as well as some other fashion and home decor patterns.
These McCall's "Needlework and Crafts" were published annually and are a huge 13", compared to later, common-sized issues. The older issue doesn't have a date anywhere. It says "McCall's Needlework & Crafts Annual Vol. IV" I couldn't find anything online about what date this would be. They seemed to switch to a bi-annual magazine in the 1950's, and some of these look older (perhaps late 40's? if not early 50's). These hats are beautiful. I've been on the lookout for sequins! I love the one in the top right. I would love to try that on! Maybe I could start a new trend.
I went through some of the issues from the 1970's and thought I'd like to make a top like this, with crochet and gauze. I remember wearing something similar. There are also some cape designs that I'm anxious to study. I love making capes and have a few ideas for Fall.

7 comments:

Amanda (and Kevin by association) said...

I love old pattern books and even catalogues! So many styles that deserve a new lease... or a revamp lol Nice post!

Art and Sew Forth said...

I'm finding I have a weakness for buttons! These are so cool!

PussDaddy said...

I would love one of those shirts, too.

PussDaddy

knittingdragonflies said...

Patterns that stand the test of time! Those are some great ones!
Vicki

WCoz said...

LazyTcrochet~ Quick question...my mom and aunt are looking for a crocheted slippers pattern in a McCall's Needlework and Craft magazine...one of which you posted a photo of. Is there any chance that you still have the one pictured to the left and with the red covered one? If you do, is there any way you could let me know the year of it?

WCoz said...

LazyTcrochet~ My mom and aunt are searching for a long lost crocheting pattern for slippers from my Grandma. It was in a McCall's Needlework and Craft magazine. They saw the photo of the McCall's magazines that you posted and immediately recognized the cover of the one on the left, shown as a pair, next to one with a red cover. Is there any way that you can pass along the date of that edition, if you still have it? We have the original page from the book, but, as you can imagine it is in pretty rough shape and where it is torn in places, part of the pattern is missing. Any help you might be able to lend would be greatly appreciated!!!

LazyTcrochet said...

The one on the left is Fall-Winter 1967-68 and the red one says Vol. IV, copyright 1953. I don't see slippers, but if you'd want to show me a copy, I can look again.

AddThis