Monday, April 26, 2010

Starting Out - Do More Than Chain - Knitting and Crochet Blog Week , Day 1

When I was young, my Mom taught me how to crochet, or so I thought. I knew how to chain, chain, chain. And chain long chains I did. It was years later, when I had my own kids, that I decided to learn on my own. I had some old needlework books which each included a chapter on Crochet. That, combined with all the crochet books that our tiny town library had, provided me with the basic knowledge needed. I gave away some funky hats and eyeglass cases, lots of crochet-topped towels and dishcloths, and slippers galore. After awhile, I decided to try my hand at local craft shows and almost got stuck in the poncho era.
My skills evolved with a desire to create my own designs. I still enjoy creating classic designs in shawls, hats, mittens, and slippers, while not afraid to step out of the box and make something fun or "different". As I've written about before, I often find inspiration from buttons, especially BIG buttons, and I'm not afraid to create my own designs without patterns. Luxurious wraps, felted purses, funky hoods, etc
.
As far as knitting is concerned, I started out slowly. I had a busy crochet business, and knitting anything seemed to take me forever in comparison. I do love to knit, and am still learning many techniques. I am grateful for the internet access that we have now, compare to when I was first learning crochet. It's easy to look up a knit stitch or bind-off method online.
I'm glad that my Mom showed me the basics of crochet. She still crochets and knits, some for accessories for herself, and some for charity. My sister is a wonderful knitter and especially enjoys knitting her own handspun wool. I have taught my daughter to crochet and she knows the basics enough to teach her friends to make bracelets and scarves. She also models many of my creations.
You can read more entries from Day 1 of the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week HERE.

4 comments:

biomaj5 said...

I started out as a crocheter too. I'm thankful for the internet as well-I likely wouldn't have gotten into knitting if that resource weren't available. Great post!

littlesparrowknits said...

I started out crocheting looooooong chains as a kid, too! It took me a while to learn the whole turning and working back thing. : ) Great photos of your work!

~RaenWa~ said...

I wonder if its harder for someone who knows how to crochet to learn to knit or vise versa. I think its cool that your daughter is teacher her friends to make stuff.

Heidi said...

I love how you describe the learning part of the creative journey. So many times it seems like we're just supposed to "know" or "be", but it is soooo much about "becoming".

Sometimes I find it easier to just keep doing what I know I"m good at, but you are reminding me to keep experimenting! I'm not a fiber artist - but I"m sure there's a painting equivalent of the "poncho era". :)

AddThis