Friday, July 27, 2012

New Crochet Vest or Bolero

I've been working on this design for quite some time now. I thought I'd post some tips and updates here instead of adding a lot more pictures to the pattern itself.
The pattern is available on Craftsy, Etsy, or Ravelry.


It's a basic crochet vest or cropped bolero style with instructions for a simple crochet edging or a ribbed edging. Sizes are for small through extra large. Whether you choose the simple edging or the ribbed edging, you'll work a single crochet all around the outside of the sweater, as explained in the pattern.
This diagram shows where to decrease (sc 2 together) at the back of the neck.
To get a good fit around the back of the neck, work a portion of the edging in sc, as explained in the pattern.

The edging is about 2" wide and in the ribbed hdc pattern it is about 2 rows per inch. If you find that the edging is ruffling too much, work the sc a little farther apart, or skip an sc here and there while working the edging. Further instructions are included in the pattern.
The picture below shows the beginning and end of the edging and approximately where to stop.  At this point, you sew it together, as explained in the pattern.
As you can see, the yellow version at the top has two buttons. These are positioned at the top and bottom of the front portion of the vest.
When laying out the three buttons for the green vest, I opted to place them a bit lower. They're not "centered" over the front closure of the vest because it looked like they were too high and there was too much of a "tail" to the bottom front and around to the back.


So, I positioned these buttons slightly lower and it pulled it together for a longer, sleeker look. Use your best judgement when marking and placing the buttonholes. The good thing about crochet is that it's easy to tear it out and go back to make adjustments.
 Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I'll continue to update this post as needed and will be adding more patterns soon.  Thanks!

3 comments:

Lawanda said...

I love it. I think I will have to make one for my mom.

Desertbears said...

I have finished the back & fronts and ready to sew the pieces together. I will make the ruffled trim.

jeremy said...

Cool patterns. Everything on it is colorful.

go here

AddThis