Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ruffle Yarn Review

Patons Pirouette

Red Heart's Sashay ruffle yarn has been so popular that local yarn stores can't keep it in stock. I heard one clerk say that they have customers waiting while they unload the truck!
I've made a few scarves with it and it is easy to work with in both knit and crochet, but the colors aren't that appealing to me. I think it's either because I've seen the same ones over and over again or that so many people are making Sashay scarves now.
Patons Pirouette and Premiere Yarn's Starbella are popular brands that are available locally. There are a few colors that I like, but again, most don't appeal to me.  If you are lucky enough to have a nice yarn shop near you or look online, there are more and more beautiful options and varieties of ruffle yarns to choose from.

Berocco Ric Rac
I really liked the look of Berocco's Ric Rac. It was different than anything else available locally and the colors were gorgeous! It was quick and easy to work with, like most ruffle yarns are once you get used to it, but I kept getting it caught on my fingers and the loose strands would end up in long loops.  I opted to keep this scarf instead of adding it to my show booth. I've only worn it a few times, but it kept getting caught on buttons, zippers, fingers....everything! And now, it's pretty much ruined.
Although I haven't tried it, Red Heart's Boutique Filigree is a similar style. I am curious if the strands are as loose, or pull as easily as the Ric Rac.







Circulo Tecido Trico
One of the newest styles of ruffle yarn is Tecido Trico from Circulo. When I first saw it, I couldn't wait to try it. The price tag was a huge deterrent, but I did finally choose two colors for Spring.
I had heard that this style of fabric ribbon "yarn" tends to fray. It is like a wide fabric ribbon (polyester) with holes punched along one side. One review I read said that it caught on everything, including her hands while she worked with it. I haven't found that at all. I was expecting the cut edge to start fraying once I started working with it, but it hasn't yet. I've finished one scarf and started on another.

I prefer knitting (vs. crocheting) with ruffle yarns simply because the stitches are easier to see since they stay on the needle. The only problem I've had with it so far is that it twists so much as you work with it. (I had put the skein in a bowl.) It comes in an oblong hank and, for the second scarf, I tried putting it on a toilet paper roll so that it can unroll easier as I work with it. It's much easier to work that way and doesn't twist as much.
Homemade "yarn holder"
These are beautiful (yet expensive) scarves. They may start to fray. I don't know. I have read about treating it with some sort of fray check or spray, but since I didn't see any evidence of fraying while working with it, I chose not to experiment with that.

If the cost of the Tecido Trico weren't so daunting, I would love to see what else I could do with it. There are some pattern ideas on Ravelry, including this sweet Party Dress.

The Party Dress pattern by Ram Wools Yarn Co-Op
Vogue Knitting's Early Fall 2012 issue has a pattern for a ladies Ruffle Wrap Cardigan to knit. Still, I wonder if it's washable and how badly it would fray. You can read more customer reviews on Ravelry as well. (Like this one that says "...the darn ribbon is fraying before I have even sewn the sweater together."

Here's a link to the Ravelry page for the Circulo Tecido Trico where you'll find pattern ideas, projects, and more.

1 comment:

Sathia murthi said...

Thanks for sharing this blog.I like this blog very much. really such an nice and decent information shared here with awesome staff.More info please visit : http://www.kulaliexports.com/index.php

AddThis