Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Sourdough English Muffins

I’ve kept a spelt sourdough going for awhile now. After playing with several traditional bread options, I’ve found they end up with a crust that’s too hard and chewy for my Mom to enjoy. Once I tried these English Muffins I knew this was a keeper. I make them often and keep some in the freezer.

Sourdough English Muffins 
I usually feed my starter in the morning and let it sit. That night, mix together 1/2 cup starter, 1 cup milk and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl clean. Cover with plastic wrap or something to keep it from drying out. Let sit overnight or at least 8 hours. The next morning add 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup flour. Mix well. Knead lightly on a floured cloth. Roll out to 1/2” or a little thicker. Cut into 4” rounds (I use a large glass). Sprinkle a cookie sheet with corn meal. Place muffins on cookie sheet. When you get to the last of the cut up dough, shape them gently into 1 or 2 muffins. Cover with a towel and allow to rest 45 minutes. Preheat a griddle or cast iron pan to medium low. Bake a few at a time, 5 - 6 minutes per side. I like to cover them with the lid to my roasting pan. It seems to help them bake through the middle. Allow to cool on a rack. Makes 8-10.

No comments:

AddThis