Monday, June 30, 2008

All's well that ends well.



If you recall from a previous post (Recycling with Mom), my Mom asked me to bake a cake for their anniversary party. Well, not just any cake. She wanted to recreate their wedding cake. I told her I could do the baking and have everything ready, as long as she would do the decorating. She's much better at it than I am!

I used the basic white cake recipe from Wilton's website. I have never baked six layers at one time before, but it worked perfectly. I was able to chill them and trim the tops level. I had a nice crumb coat of butter cream on the three tiers and had them all packed up and ready to travel.
Then my dog got sick. We were supposed to leave that night to help set up for the party. Coco ended up having surgery, but was able to travel the next morning. Thank goodness the vet was able to help her so quickly!

We assembled the cake before the party. I wasn't thrilled with the way the butter cream set up. It was perfect the day before, but after chilling and warming up to spreading consistency, it sort of separated. Mom insisted it was perfect and added the finishing touches. She made roses ahead of time and we topped it off with the cake top from their wedding.
It was a wonderful party. Guests arrived from all over the U.S., Canada, and Finland!



Mom and Dad dancing.


Family photo - Dad, Mom, Chris, Me, and Maggie

All's well that ends well.....and I'm so glad that my running buddy is recuperating! My favorite trail just wouldn't be the same without her.

8 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Happy 50th to your folks!

So glad to hear your dog is doing well post op!

fluffnflowers said...

Wow! That's terrific. Congrats to your parents! I think it's amazing that you managed to match the colors so well.

I'm also glad to hear you pup is feeling better!

Patrizia said...

The cake looks great and so does you family! Congratulations to your parents!

I'm glad to hear your dog got better!

Anonymous said...

Even your snobbish family in FL thinks you have a great looking family. I'm not surprised you have as much talent as your Mom and Dad.

Glad your dog is doing well. He just wanted in on the attention.

Valerie
Gainesville, FL

Anonymous said...

The cake came out lovely! YOu're so talented. :)

kathy said...

awwww!! so sweet! great looking cake too, did you save some for me?? :)

Anonymous said...

hey happy 50th to your folks. Good to see your pup is feeling good.

Sandee said...

Wow that cake is absolutely gorgeous!!

AddThis